Tuesday, April 6

$30 a bag for carry on?

Spirit Airlines announced today that it would begin charging $30 in advance and $45 at the gate for any carry on luggage that does not fit under the seat in front of you. This fee is actually higher than Spirit's fee to check luggage ($25/bag).

I have a feeling that passengers will protest by avoiding Spirit Airlines and as a result other airlines will not follow suit. I'm not sure why Spirit thought this would be a better idea than simply raising ticket prices by the same amount. Carrying luggage on the plane for free feels like an entitlement to most passengers and I think this new policy crosses the line. Read more here.

1 comment:

Mike of the Nile said...

When I heard that, I said "Who is Spirit?" I think it suffices as both a statement and a reaction.